MUSIC MAKERS: Welcome to the Wonderland of talents

On 29th of April in the auditorium of Overseas School of Colombo the second largest event after the Gala Concert was held. The name of the event, Music Makers, makes it clear that the event was about the music. Many musically gifted students, teachers and guest performers were involved in this fabulous concert. The concert was organized and led by Head of the Arts department of OSC Mrs. Duncan. She was really passionate about it and literally charged all the participators including me with her drive. Likewise my previous performances I performed with the Girl's Voice group and my rock band The Sweet Chains. 
This time our band performance was in the very beginning of the concert because of what I was very nervous. We usually performed in the second half of the concert after I've sung couple of songs with the Voice and have been sort of warmed up. However, during the Music Makers I had to warm up with my solo. Nevertheless, we played it quite well. We are getting more and more experienced every time. Therefore, now even if one of us makes a mistake we can deal with it and smooth the performance so that no one in the audience notice that something went wrong. That time we played a cover of a popular song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' by Green Day. The cover was even mellower and calmer than the original version known as one of the most calm songs of the band. During the performance I got struck by my sentimentality and started improvising. I was dejectedly walking along the stage singing the bridge: "I walk alone, I walk alone...". That was quite initiative but after I was told I did that it seemed to me to be very funny to react that way. 
What about our Voice performance? We sang several songs which were quite complicated in terms of structure and parts and pitches. However, our leader told us after the concert that everyone liked it a lot and it was one of the best performances of Voice at OSC ever. 
In addition, all of us were very committed about the dress code. For one of the songs we had to wear black and white costumes. Each wore what she had from the black and white clothes. Therefore, the combinations were very diverse and interesting. That looked amazing!
I enjoyed performing at the Music Makers a lot. That feeling when you get to the stage and are ready to perform is indescribable and definitely worth of all the time you have to spend for practicing and mastering your pieces.        
The drummer from The Sweet Chains Yaman is cheering everyone up before the performance. 

Photo Credit: Anya (me)

The guitarist from The Sweet Chains Charlie is practicing her song before going on the stage. Photo Credit: Anya (me)

The bassist from The Sweet Chains Taha is waiting for his turn to perform. Photo Credit: Anya (me)

Girls' Voice group at the backstage after the final performance at the Music Makers. I am in the middle wearing the striped dress. Photo Credit: Unknown
                                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog