WELCOME TO SOS VILLAGE 

On the 9th of April before going on the vacations our service group visited SOS Village, the home of children with whom we work. Even though some of the students were there before it was my first time. I wondered and simultaneously was happy to see the level and the conditions which were provided there. I expected something like that but it surprised me anyway. Probably because all the orphanages I saw before SOS Village were absolutely different and I became biased to some extent. 

The buildings at SOS were of a beautiful design and tidy. The thing that I remembered well was that there were a lot of trees and other vegetation. Unfortunately, I did not see the whole construction as I decided to stay and play with the children.
When we arrived children were on the field. We divided into two teams, adults versus children, to play cricket. That was absolutely new for me and it was great! I have never played cricket before. Even though I could not hit the ball playing as a batsman I scored 2 runs. It was so engaging and joyful! I realized that cricket is actually much more difficult than it seems to be. Children were very good at it. They beat us, the adults' team, with an incredible difference in score. While some of the children were playing cricket others were watching. They were so friendly and nice smiling at us. We spent nearly 1.5 hours at SOS and then we planned to go to watch the concert in which the girls from our group took part. Some of our service group members were so into the game so it took us a long time to get them out of the game. We went to the sports school (if I am not mistaken). There was a huge auditorium full of people and children. The concert which was held there were dedicated to the Singhala and Tamil New Year Avurdu. The amount of children which took part in the concert reflects on how this day is important for the local population and is the major event in their culture. Somehow I could not recognize our girls as we were sitting at the very back, and the stage was so far away. However, in total the performances were very colourful, vivid and inspiring. Unfortunately, we had to leave before the end of the concert as it was quite late already. 

In my opinion, that session was very useful for me and for all of the members of our service to understand the global value of the SOS Village as a loving family for children who lost their because of the life circumstances.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog