Bugsy Malone

Bugsy Malone was a huge event that took place at our school this year. Overall, more than 500 people came to watch the production. It was an absolute success.
Bugsy Malone is a musical set somewhere in the first half of 20th century during the epoch of gangsters and ladies. The main character of the story is, obviously, Bugsy Malone - smart, ingenious and charming young man who fell in love with a singer Blousy and got involved in a dangerous tension between two gangs present in the play, Dandy Dan’s gang and Fat Sam’s gang, in order to earn enough money to take Blousy to Hollywood. As the play progresses, human flaws such as greed, lust for superiority, venality, deception, hypocrisy, corruption are illustrated by the characters and situations they are involved in. The denouement of the play when everyone dies serves as a portrayal of the moral of the play.
The last time I’ve been involved in any kind of acting was in primary school, so this experience was quite challenging and new for me. In addition, as the proportion of girls involved in the production was much higher compared to the male part, I have got to play a male role. I was a ferocious representative of Dandy Dan’s gang who was constantly shooting someone throughout the play. To be honest, despite initial confusion, later I liked and enjoyed this role as somewhere inside I always wanted to try it on and try to be a brutal, decisive and professional in killing figure.
The production was an annual commitment and, hence, was quite demanding. Especially, it was demanding in terms of communication. People from different grades from primary school up to high school had to work collaboratively and befriend in such a short period of time to produce something worthy. I have got to know people from various grades, people I never talked to or even saw at school… This was definitely exciting and interesting.
I, just like all cast, used to complain a lot about very frequent and often excessively long and tiring rehearsals, especially during couple of months before the performance. However, after everything was over and I have seen stage props being removed from auditorium, I realized how much I got used to this production routine regardless of my minor role and how precious this experience was. I realized that I fully achieved the target that I have set in the beginning, to see and feel the atmosphere of drama production and, therefore, felt very happy and satisfied about this experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog