SERVICE

Introduction (28/08/2014)

We were discussing personal and general goals for this service, plans and main features of SOS Village. BRAINSTOOORMING!

Day 1 (04/09/2014)

We were on our DP orientation so there was no service.

Day 2 (11/09/2014)

That was so overwhelming! I have never done something like this before. I like these kids. They are so positive despite their life circumstances. Maybe I have some preconceptions about kids like them but still...I think that in some aspects they are even wiser than many other people including myself.
On the actual first session they were drawing little posters about themselves. That was really interesting and surprising for me to see them so dedicated. How meticulously they painted their pictures.
Afterwards we had an ice-breaking exercise. How strange we are ...Ice-breaking exercise usually takes place in the beginning of the session. However we decided to keep the ice till the end.
In addition, we had some free (relatively) cookies by the end of the session :3

Day 3 (18/09/2014)

Regardless of weather unfavorable conditions we made it happen!(it was raining like cats&dogs)
That day we planned to have a swimming pool session. Most of these children have never swam in the pool (and some of them are almost 15).
How does the person feel when he enters water for the first time?
I was 2 years old when i first time go to the pool. I do not remember what did i feel. This way it was really cognitive for me to see the initial reaction of the children when they got into the pool. I can say for sure all of them were brave.
We taught them how to move their legs and arms, how to keep their breath under water and make bubbles. 
I think everyone can get something useful from this experience. While we are learning how to educate and interact with children, they are learning how to swim, use the computer and just practicing their English (I practice as well).

Day 4 (25/09/2014)

On our last session we were playing computer games in the Aqua Lab. Before that kids were asked to write some personal information in their textbooks. I realized that many of them have pretty good English level. And they understand more than I thought they do. I suppose they do not speak English very often because of their modesty.
P.S. It is really joyful for me to understand these children better. 


I teach girls basic swimming techniques; Photo Credit: Unknown


Taha, Anthony and Ravin are helping children to get into the swimming pool;
 Photo Credit: Unknown


Prerna and Charlie are preparing girls for swimming; Photo Credit: Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog