COAST TO COAST


Between January, 26 and January, 31, ten- and eleven -graders went for Week Without Walls trips. There were several options to choose and I have decided to choose the cycling trip called Coast to Coast.
I think our trip was undoubtedly the most intense trip out of all others. On the 26th of January, our group departed from school to Arugam Bay which is located on the southeast coast of Sri Lanka, i.e. the opposite coast of Colombo.
I can highlight three important and remarkable aspects of our journey. First, we had an opportunity to investigate the local manufacturing and its sustainability; second, we visited Tamil local school in Komari; and third, we cycled and cycled really a lot – uphill and downhill and uphill and uphill.
On the first day of the trip we cycled to the small treacle producing factory where we were shown the mechanism of producing treacle out of sugar cane. Workers at this factory told us about their work and the importance of this factory for their lives and community as a whole. Basically, this small factory employed many men from the village and gave them opportunity to sustain themselves and their families and to develop their village in general.
On our way to this factory we stopped in the field and our guide told us about the sugar cane plantations all around the place. We were told that people living in that area got a small piece of land from government to grow sugar cane and thereafter sell their produce as well as leave some part of the produce for own consumption.
Next day we went to Komari, which is located towards the north from our resort. We did some service at Komari Tamil School. More exactly we checked children’s bicycles and tried to fix them. That was a nice opportunity for me to communicate with children and get some new skills in repairing bicycles. I have learnt a lot. Before this opportunity, I did not even know about different parts of bicycle, their location and how to check and fix them.
Children were very excited when we came. They were friendly and positive. All of them were so happy when we could repair their bikes. Some of them even helped us. In the end after all we have done all we could, they gave us a soda drink. After the two- or three-hour work in heat, we were really thirsty. Arnold and I worked together and we managed to repair 3-4 bicycles which was quite good achievement.
But the biggest achievement of our trip was undoubtedly cycling. We rode circa 201 km which is 20km more than students did last year. This trip was very special for me because before this trip I was cyclofobic. I had some unlucky experience (a terrible accident) with a bike 6 months before this journey. That time, I could not even imagine that I ever cycle again. However, after 5 days of constant cycling, I have regained my confidence. Besides overcoming cyclofobia, I have learned how to cycle in extreme weather conditions, how to cycle in a big group (collaboration) and how to cycle on the roads with traffic and speedy vehicles (challenge).
The most memorable experience was a ride downhill from Ella where we stayed during our last night of the trip. That day there was a huge rain and the road was very wet, curvy and sloppy. That was utterly scary! Huge amount of adrenaline got into my blood. But as we know IB learner is a risk-taker!
Overall, the trip was amazing; especially the nature, the views, Arugam Bay beach, beautiful mountains and hills in Ella. Even though that week was really exhausting and challenging, I’m so happy I have seen so many miracles of Sri Lankan nature and I have got an opportunity to fight and overcome my fears of cycling and just get to know new people. 

Our cycling group and I are ready for the ride to Komari; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

Our cycling group is waiting for the breakfast after two-hour ride in the morning; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

We are pointing at our birthplaces at Tamil local school in Komari; Photo credit: Sam Liberto
Ms. A, Arnold and I are trying to fix the seat of one of the bicycles at Komari school; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

Child is helping to repair his bicycle; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

Arnold and I are posing after hard work; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

'Bringing it in' after finishing our work; All of us are exhausted but full of joy; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

Children are posing with replaced old pedals; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto
We are waiting for the bus to go to Ella after the long ride through the national park; Photo Credit: Sam Liberto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog