The Gala Concert 
 
The 4th of December was a special and exciting day for many students in OSC including me. We had been preparing for this day during all the semester. The Gala concert is certainly one of the most interesting and engaging events during the academic year. This year’s Gala concert was especially exciting for me as it was also my first official and serious performance on the stage – a kind of a debut.
I was performing as a singer both as a front man and a background singer. I performed with girls’ voice group several times which was led by Mrs. Duncan and once as a soloist of a new rock band The Sweet Chains. That was the first performance of our band. And of course everything could not be ideal, something must happen. During our band performance some technical difficulties occurred. The stripe of Charlie’s (Charulatha Pitigala) guitar had fallen and the guitar started to fall as well. Finally Charlie sat down on her knees to prevent the guitar from falling completely and continued playing. At that moment the wire which connected guitar to an amplifier got unplugged and the guitar stopped sounding. That was a moment that I will remember forever. And the funniest was that after Charlie plugged in the guitar back and continued playing the wire fell again and the situation repeated. I was so overwhelmed but luckily I could cope with the stress and managed to handle the situation. Though ideally we were to keep playing and ignore the situation with the guitar. This was a really useful experience as it taught me to deal with stress and overcome the unexpected challenges in front of a big audience. You must be creative and be able to redress any situation. I tried new skills and I am anyway happy to get an experience even if it did not meet my expectations perfectly.
As regards girls’ voice we learned how to be collaborative, to listen to each other and realize where to get either louder or quieter in order to sound nicer and professional.
Despite the gala concert was very challenging and stressful it also was memorable and joyful. I have been working hard and I showed what I have learned and prepared, gave people positive emotions and just had a good time. Isn’t that the target of performing?

Girls' Voice group at the backstage after the Gala Concert; Photo credit: Unknown
Our band The Sweet Chains performing song Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes during the Gala Concert; Photo credit: Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog