FIRST AID COURSE: increase chances of survival 
 
In the beginning of September I was part of a first aid course organized by our school together with Falck (medical services group). I signed up for this course as I considered these skills utterly useful. They allow you to save people’s lives and enlarge your own chances of survival (in different life situations). Moreover, as I am planning to choose medical sciences as my majors in university, this course was good for my application form and further education.
The course was split into 2 parts: the focus of the first part was a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) while the second part was mainly about the basic first aid in general.
For both parts we were following the steps:
  • Lecture (theoretical) – first, we were watching manual videos; afterwards, our trainer explained us the process and techniques in more details;
  • Application (practical) – we were practicing what we’ve learnt.
This experience was absolutely new for me (new skills) as I was never taught what is CPR, when and how to do it. I didn’t even know about the existence of mobile defibrillator which anyone can use. As regards bandages and different types of lifts and pulls, these required collaboration and attentiveness as we were practicing these skills on each other not on the model. Therefore, we could easily injure each other if we didn’t, for instance, lift a person properly and then dropped him/her. Also, it was quite hard to memorize (challenge) the actions when the person is internally or externally bleeding or is bitten by an insect or snake because we couldn’t really work out those skills.
Generally, it was a very useful and interesting experience for me. Now, after I passed the test I’m getting an international diploma which will officially qualify me as a person who can give first aid to a patient. 

The trainer and a volunteer from the group demonstrate the type of lift in order to remove a sufferer from a dangerous scene. Photo credits: Anya (me)

Our trainer practically teaches us how to put a bandage on a broken toe. Photo credits: Anya (me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog